No fire handy? Make a s’mores ice cream sandwich instead
I love, love, love s’mores. Chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows — that’s all you need. But when the inspiration hits, I can’t help experimenting with the classic. Enter the s’mores ice cream sandwich.
I made my own graham cracker cookies for this recipe, but you can also use store-bought graham cracker cookies if you’re on a time crunch. Dip the cookies into melted chocolate, add marshmallow fluff and chocolate ice cream, and the recipe is all set.
Softening the ice cream first, spreading it out on a cookie sheet, freezing it and then cutting out a disk the same shape as your cookie is an ice cream sandwich hack we got from Anna Gordon, baker and owner of The Good Batch bakery in Brooklyn.
More: S’mores sandwich bar cookies
S’mores ice cream cookie sandwich recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 7 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 12 minutes
Ingredients for the cookies:
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Ingredients for the cookie sandwich:
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 graham cracker cookies
- 2 scoops (about 1/3 cup each) chocolate ice cream, softened
- 4 tablespoons marshmallow fluff
Directions for the cookies:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To a bowl, add the butter and sugars, and beat with a hand mixer on low until light and fluffy.
- Blend in the egg, vanilla and milk.
- Add in the flour, graham cracker crumbs and baking soda. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- To a prepared baking sheet, add the dough by the tablespoon about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 5 – 7 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes.
More: S’mores dessert pizza
Directions for the cookie sandwich:
- Spread softened ice cream in a 1-1/2-inch layer over a parchment-covered cookie sheet. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Cut out ice cream disks with a cookie cutter, and keep in the freezer until ready to use.
- To a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips.
- Microwave the chocolate chips for 1 minute 30 seconds, until the chocolate is melted.
- Dip 1 side of each graham cracker cookie into the melted chocolate.
- Let the chocolate on the cookies set.
- Once the chocolate has set, on the chocolate side of each cookie, place 1 ice cream disk.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of marshmallow fluff over each ice cream disk.
- Cover each ice cream- and marshmallow fluff-topped cookie with a remaining cookie, chocolate side in.
- Cover each sandwich with cling wrap, and freeze until ready to serve.
Check out our super-duper smarty-pants pro cookie baking tips!