Tasty and easy, tuna mornay is a comfort food dinner that can be scratched together from whatever ingredients you have lying around. Making tuna mornay for dinner is also a great way to boost the amount of fish in kids’ diets.
- 1 cup rice
2 tblsp plain flour
1.5 cups milk
medium tin of tuna in springwater
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
small tin of creamed corn
pinch black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
- Boil the rice in a large pot of water.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour to butter and stir for 2 mins, being careful not to burn.
- Gradually add the milk. Stir white sauce until the mixture starts to thicken. Add the grated cheese.
- Add the drained tuna. Add the creamed corn.
- Season to taste with peppers. Add frozen veggies to almost cooked rice.
- Cook for a few minutes until done and rinse rice and veggies under cold water. Pour rice and veggies into casserole dish.
- Pour tuna mix over rice and veggies. Sprinkle with grated cheese and grill if desired to lightly brown.