Stationery and novelty toy giant Smiggle are recalling a popular yoyo sold in their stores nationwide.
The toy, called the Smiggle Yoyo Loco has been found to easily break apart if dropped or if it comes into contact with other objects, releasing the button batteries inside.
“If the yo-yo is dropped or hits an object, the clear covers on either side of the yo-yo may pop out and release the button batteries. .
“If young children gain access to the button batteries and ingest them, they may suffer internal burn injuries, which can result in serious illness and even death,” the ACCC said in a statement.”
The toy is a clear yoyo that lights up and makes noise. It has ‘Smiggle Yoyo Loco’ written on the side and was sold between 20 October 2015 and 24 June 2016.
What to do if you have one
Consumers should stop using the yo-yo and return it to Smiggle for a refund. For further information, contact Smiggle on 1800 612 236 Mon-Fri 9am – 5.30pm (AEDT), email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the website smiggle.com
The dangers of button batteries
Previously Kidspot has reported on the terrible consequences of children swallowing button batteries.
In September last year, a toddler nearly died after swallowing button batteries that fell out of a pair of 3D glasses.
And in December a NZ toddler was left permanently disabled after swallowing the batteries. He may be able to talk or breathe unassisted.