This recipe is for both the lovers of spinach and feta Turkish Gozleme and those that love it with the mince filling. It’s delicious both ways, just give it a squeeze of lemon!
- Dough400g Greek style plain yoghurt
500g self-raising flour
4 tbsp olive oil
Spinach filling100g baby spinach
200g feta cheese
Mince filling2 tbsp olive oil
500g lamb mince
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tin tomato puree
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chilli flakes
- Mince filling
- In a frying pan, fry the lamb mince and make sure you break it into small lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the garlic as it is browning and stir well.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, then add the cumin, tomato puree and chilli flakes and stir. Cook for a further 2 mins and set aside.
- Feta and spinach filling.
- Pour boiling water over the spinach and then drain. Crumble feta up and stir through spinach.
- Combine the yoghurt with the self-raising flour and knead on a floured board for 2-3 mins.
- Cut into 8 portions. Cover with a damp tea towel until ready to use.
- Roll each dough ball into a 25cm round and place 4 tablespoons of filling on one half. Fold dough round in half and press together the edges.
- Heat a skillet, frying pan to barbecue hotplate to medium heat and brush each gozleme with olive oil. Cook on each side until golden “eyes” appear.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- This recipe makes 8 gozleme which is enough to hold 4 of each filling.
- The lemon wedges are essential for this recipe.
- This is a great meal to make for vegetarians and meat eaters who can choose between the two fillings.
- If your kids love the spinach version of these (and many do!), try making spinach and feta rolls, which have the same tasty spinach and cheese flavour.
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloni is another yummy spinach dish that gets the tick of approval from kids. Little chefs will also love helping roll up the fresh lasagne sheets into cannelloni rolls that they can stuff.
- Fans of the spinach version of this Turkish speciality will also devour these spinach quiches, which have a sprinkling of pine nuts to add some crunch.
- These gozlemes are lovely on their own or you could serve them with a refreshing rocket, spinach and feta salad. The salad has a lovely zingy citrus dressing.
- Spinach lovers will also enjoy this subtle Indian-spiced chicken, tomato and spinach curry and this lovely fish, lemon, spinach and fetta risotto.
- Got leftover spinach? Use it up in tasty fetta and spinach muffins, or sprinkle some into these mini bacon and spinach frittatas for your baby.
- Gozlemes are a great weekend lunch when cooking is as much of an activity as eating! Also try making this mushroom and spinach frittata which is another great lunch idea, or this tasty spinach pie.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, Australiia’s best recipe finder.