Good egg salad sandwiches are made with love! This version has fresh herbs, mayonnaise, celery for crunch and is seasoned well. A good way to introduce egg sandwiches to your kids.
- 6 hard boiled eggs
2 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
2 sticks celery, diced
4 tbsp chives, chopped
8 slices wholegrain bread (or rye)
butter for the bread
2 cups mixed lettuce, washed
- In a medium size bowl, mash the eggs and mix in mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper. Add the celery and chives and combine well.
- Spread the butter on the bread and lay a bed of lettuce leaves on the butter. Spoon the egg mixture onto the lettuce and top with a slice of bread.
- This recipe makes four sandwiches. I cut out a little heart shape on mine just for fun.
- This sandwich is about using the best ingredients to make a tasty sandwich. Use fresh free-range eggs, whole egg mayonnaise and the best bread you can find.
- If you are making this ahead of time you can use the lettuce to shield the bread from becoming soggy.
- When cutting the chives I use kitchen scissors as it gives a nice clean cut and makes it easy.
- You can add a half teaspoon of curry powder to this recipe to make curried egg sandwiches.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, Australia’s best recipe finder.