This vegetarian curry recipe is a real surprise. There is so much flavour in this bowl that it will have you coming back for seconds immediately. Serve with yoghurt for a tangy twist on the Indian flavours that makes it fresh and spicy.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin, ground
1 tbsp coriander, ground
2 tins chickpeas (850g in total), drained and rinsed
2 tins diced tomatoes (880g in total)
1 tsp garam masala
- In a pan, heat the oil and add onions and garlic, stirring over a medium heat until soft.
- Add coriander, cumin, salt, tumeric and paprika and cook for a minute to release aromatics.
- Add chickpeas and undrained tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garam masala and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- This is the most more-ish vegetarian dish I have ever had. I made it thinking my husband will love this and kept finding myself sneaking spoonfuls from the fridge.
- If you are feeding this to the little ones you can reduce the chilli to 1/2 tsp of chilli or just omit it altogether.
- Serve the curried chickpeas with a nice big dollop of natural yoghurt when it’s spicy. The contrast of the heat and soothing cool is fantastic.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, Australia’s best recipe finder.
- Use 2 tins chickpeas (850g in total), and 2 tins diced tomatoes (880g in total).