These corn pikelets are great for toddlers, for breakfast or just anytime you need a nutritious snack. You can triple the batch and freeze some for later.
- 1 cup corn kernels
1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
butter to fry and spread
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, egg and milk to make a batter.
- Stir in corn kernels.
- Heat frying pan and add 2 teaspoons of butter. When sizzling, drop in tablespoons of mixture.
- Turn over and cook the other side.
- Spread with butter.
- This batter is best used straight away.
- You can make a larger batch of these and freeze them for later.
- I tried using margarine to spread on these and I have to say that the butter tasted so much better.
- For a sweeter taste add 2 tsp of honey. Reduce the milk a touch to compensate for the extra liquid.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, Australia’s best recipe finder.